This page is going to cover the different tools you are going to want when running the game on PC.
This program is most useful for keeping the game running while not in focus. It also comes with useful codes (99 lives, disable music). The program also supports file replacements, useful for music packs.
An experimental tool which lets you save your position, useful for practice.
Allows you edit upgrade progress in realtime, as well as locking upgrades.
Game Running Too Fast
The game's logic is tied to 60 FPS, and this game runs with a locked v-sync by default, so if your desktop refresh rate is greater than 60 Hz, the game will run faster than intended. There are a few ways around this.
- In fullscreen mode, make sure a 60 Hz option is checked, or in windowed mode, set your desktop refresh rate to 60 Hz before booting the game.
- Force v-sync off at a driver level, and cap your framerate (at a driver level, like with Nvidia Inspector, or through software like RTSS). Note that the game will probably not look smooth if you run at a refresh rate that is not a multiple of 60.
Driver Crashes (Nvidia)
If your GPU driver crashes while playing, the game usually freezes for about 20 seconds while your system tries to restart the driver. To prevent this from happening, perform the following steps:
- Right click on your desktop and open the Nvidia Control Panel.
- On the left pane, click on 3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings.
- Find "Power Management Mode" and set it to "Prefer Maximum Performance." This can be done on a global level or for SA2 specifically (sonic2app.exe).